Friday, August 8, 2008

The Week of My Worst Nightmares

So, Monday approached, and I was still a little skeptical that I may not be starting at Firebird's. I called, and they said of course, so I was ready to show up the following day.

Tuesday, I walk in at 3, and see no one. I am told to go to the back of the restaurant and have a seat. By the looks of everyone there, minus the management and one other person already seated, I looked like the oldest person there. 3 kids went to Collieville High, 3 more went to University of Memphis. The other 'older seeming' new person, and myself. It was just paperwork, W-4 forms, I-9, payroll, lalalalala, etc... etc...Tomorrow at 11:00 I will finally begin my training!

Wednesday. I start. I wake up to my mom calling my name.
"What time is it?"
"10 minutes to Eleven."
"ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!" I screamed as I had the most panic stricken voice.
"Yes. I thought you were awake already."

I had snoozed my alarm to the max, and I never got up on time. Not to mention I was so excited to work the next day I didn't go to bed until 4 am. I called them from my car at 11:05 and stated that I was stuck behind an accident near my house and I was on my way. I think I stepped in the doors at 11:20. I did my make up in the car and my hair looked like shit considering I had no time to wash it.

I hadn't waited tables in a little over 2 years, so I had really forgotten how much running around there is. I remembered, but there was some element of not, that made me exhausted after a a busy lunch shift. I didn't eat anything, so obviously I was starving. I was cut at 1:30, and I went home. I washed up a little bit, fixed my hair and had a slim fast because I had to be back by 3 for food class with my service manager.

Food class was awesome. We all new trainees got to taste some of the entrees and appetizers so we could get an understanding of the food and what it tastes like. Pretty cool perk I think. So the food was all good, training class was over, show up tomorrow at 11:00 for more training.

Thursday. Luckily, I did wake up on time, took a shower and got ready, went to work, arrived on time. Of course I get there and I have no idea who I am supposed to be training with. I find out after 10 minutes of strolling around like an idiot. My trainer was a 'kid' of about maybe 21-22, who at first glance, I could tell he did not want to be at work today. When asked, he gave the typical speech I used to give at that age, of "I'm just really tired". For anyone that doesn't know, that is code for 3 things: 1)I am hungover from partying the previous evening, 2)I was up late with my significant other doing things that God would rather me not, or 3)I am in a bad mood and I will just say I am tired.

I pretty much suspected all three, and over the course of the shift, I found that I was right. He did not want to train today, and I could tell that something was going on with him out side of work. Not my business. BUT- it was weighing in on how he 'trained' me, and I was not happy to be there as I didn't feel he was trying to train, nor cared to do so. When all the trainees were cut, I dashed out of there like there was no tomorrow, went home for lunch and came back to the restaurant at 3 again for food class. We ate our faces off again with all the good food they have there, and were dismissed again at 5. I talked to Jenny, my manager about what the day was like with my trainer, and she apologized and assured me I would get someone different on Saturday. I don't want to be a shit disturber, I just want to be properly trained.

Today, Friday. I did not have to get up and go to work. I was pretty happy, since I had become quite exhausted from this week, not being up to snuff from not being a waitress in so long. It was about 1, and I wasn't feeling well,so I went downstairs and watched TV on the couch. Next thing I know, it's 7:30, and I am awake and sweating. I go upstairs to clean my room and get ready to do laundry, and I see my phone had a voicemail. It's Firebird's.


How could this happen? I knew i had to go, I was going to take a shower and be there by 3 and have my last food class and then be back tomorrow for a follow shift and a food running shift.

So, at this point, I screamed about what just happened, freaked out and cried, and called work. Of course it's dinner rush, and the wrong time to call, but the earlier the better. I talked to my manager, and she seemed pretty cool with it. I just have to be there tomorrow at 11, and I will go over some things with her when she gets in at 2. I am hoping I am not in trouble. As I am a very responsible person, and the thing I hate the most is to be late for work.

Like I said, a week of my worst nightmares. I am looking forward to Monday for the first time in a long time.

No comments: