Tuesday, January 22, 2008

my newest addiction

Yahoo Answers.

I was bored at work a few months ago, and I fell upon Yahoo Answers. I was doing a web search on a question I had regarding a statement my friend Sean had made that confused the hell out of me. So I googled it, looked it up in Yahoo, AOL, etc... Then came Yahoo Answers.

I asked the question, what does this saying mean, and got a few responses, not knowing how the whole system worked. I wasn't quite pleased with the answers people in the Answers community had given, so I went ahead and asked the same question again, this time, with more satisfying results. At first, I thought the questions people were to ask would be that of a nature that some professional would review, research, and then answer. Not true. Anyone can answer. Then you get to pick the best answer. And then they have all these categories, you can earn points, go to a higher level, kid of like a game. You can answer any ones question, and you get points if your answer gets picked for the best answer. Stuff like that.

But I must say, I am very intrigued by the amount of stupid questions people ask by lack of common sense. Questions so dumb, I dare not retype them in fear of it making ME stupid for some reason. Or, better yet, let me just say this: I just discovered this site not to long ago. If you know how to ask a question on Yahoo Answers, had it ever occurred to you that maybe you could Google it?

I must say, there are some good questions posed on this site. Like how to's and what do you think of this? type questions. My new favorite ones to scope out are 16 year olds whining that their parents won't let them get a tattoo for their birthday and they KNOW FOR SURE that there is NO WAY they will EVER regret it because they have wanted it for a year. NEWSFLASH: I said that too when I was 18 and it was legal, and I regret some of my tattoos. C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas? One yesterday almost made me pee in my pants. A 12 year old was CRYING because he was upset his dad wouldn't let him get his lip pierced for his 13th birthday! I don't know. Isn't that the age when you go through puberty, wanna get dirty in the mud riding your bike, and play sports? Not want some dirty stranger put a hole in your face? (again, I did the same thing at a LEGAL age, and still regret it)

I have posed a few questions since then. This and that kinda things. Purely legitimate and worthy of some one's time to read, and helpful if answered. Just recently, I think even yesterday, I asked the "community" if anyone had experienced weight gain on Cymbalta. Reason being, I have been on it for almost 3 years now, and have gained 25 pounds without trying. I am gaining weight, not trying, and it is doing one big fat number on my self esteem. (no pun intended) Therefore, ahem, negating the reason for taking it. I have been contemplating asking my doctor about this for some time. Anyhow, this is besides the point, and I digress a little here.

So, just in case you didn't know, as I did, and have some free time on your hands, check out Yahoo Answers for either entertainment, or a tool to help you pass time while bored. This has been numero uno for my boredom survival here at my latest job, since I have more free time than I could ever care for.

No comments: