Friday, May 25, 2007

What's new, you ask?

So, I have extended a second time here in Nome, and I will be back to the lower 48 for good in September. I am hoping next for a job in the southwest region or in California next. But truth be told, I want to work anywhere I can get a travel job. I like this lifestyle, and the pay can't be beat! I have learned so much over the past year and a half just by working at the last 3 hospitals I have been to.

I am currently trying my best to pay off my debts to my parents, the state of MO, as well as make a dent in my student loans. I should have my Mom paid off my March, and my other piddly stuff as well. As soon as those debts are done, I will go ahead and start the process to get my RN degree online, and kill two birds with one stone.

I really like it here. The people are great, I am treated like staff here instead of 'just a traveller'. I have made several friends as well that have become more like family to me.

The weather is starting to warm up and more and more animals are starting to surface! So far I have seen Arctic Seagulls, turns, warblers, sandpipers, green winged teals, pin tail ducks, lesser Canadian geese....not to mention the same old ravens that I saw all winter. (if you have ever seen the movie Signs, they make a noise very similar to the aliens, so the first time I heard it, I was quite freaked) Saw a moose a few weeks ago. Will be going out this weekend up the mountain some to go look at the muskox and then go fishing for trout. The temp has been hanging around high 40's and low 50's, and has been absolutely lovely. It sounds silly, but it really feels good to only have just a long sleeved shirt as your protection from the elements. Got really used to having to lug on the snow boots and snow pants, gloves, neck wrap, ear wrap and sock hat. Glad I don't have to go through all of that just to take out the trash!

Sunlight: well, this is coming upon the time of year where Alaska has lots of light. Right now, the sun doesn't go completely down until around 2 AM, and even then, it isn't getting completely dark. Just about 3 hours of twilight, and then the sun pops up again. I am still trying to get used to such a strange thing. It really can mess with your body's internal clock.

Can't wait for summer! It will be quite a thing to experience to go to the bar until close, leave, and then have to put on sunglasses at 2 AM! But as far as my activities that I have planned....

The weather is nice and the snow is all gone, so I can go on my runs outside instead of being stuck to the gym. I plan on going berry picking, and making lots of homemade jellies :) YUM :P And any chance I get, I will be out at Cripple Creek, Nome river, or Snake river trying to catch as many trout and salmon as I possibly can :) I also have a group of friends that we are all planning on taking some day trips to the camps and sites outside of town. There is the Train to Nowhere in Solomon, the hot springs in Pilgrim, camp out in Council and by Safety, AK. Stuff like that. Not to mention I have been so exited over the last week to be able to go to the beach with my book bag and a soda and read a book with my toes curled in the sand while watching the waves roll in. (the ocean finally became unfrozen and the ice has all floated on) The sea is so blue and such a marvel to stare at. The beaches out east should be smothered in seals and walrus so I hope to check that out and take pictures. (of course, still have to wear a hoodie to block the cool wind)

I am looking forward to the outside stuff. It feels to good to say you did something rather than admit you sat on your duff all day and did nothing. Although those days are nice too :) I am excited about my future journeys to come with travelling. I am so glad I made the decision to do this. I have been in such a great place (mentally, emotionally, physically) since I have started this career last November. I am happy to be able to say I got to experience this great country we have and to get to see and do things I have always wanted to do.

No comments: