Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

For the history and meaning, look up the wikipedia entry: Valentine's Day

Anyhow. I am work right now, and shortly after 0130h, I was outside smoking with one of my patients, and I recieved the first and probably the last "Happy Valentine's Day" greetings of the day. Thanks Eddie, it really does mean the world.

Now, I know that when I wake them (the rest of the students) up at 0600h I will be giving a HVD greeting to them of my own. And what better person to give it than me? This living ball of joy known as Sarah for whom they express to me daily how appreciative they are that I am here. I know they will all be chirping flirtatious phrases to me, since all my students(patients) are a bunch of sweet old flirts.

There will also be the calls to and from my family.

I am a jerk too, because I bought VD cards a week and a half ago, and I still haven't mailed them out. I hope I remember to do that this morning when I get home from work. OOPS.

But I have to say this: in a weird way, even if I have to spend VD alone (like I will this year, and yes, I have to work again tonight) I can always smile and know that every year on this day, I can celebrate my anniversary: of being the day that started the rest of my life.

8 years ago, on 2-14-00, I started my first day of work at Delmar Gardens Nursing Home. Although working there was pure hell, and the smell of funky elderly urine always stayed up my nose, I am glad I I started there. Being a nurse is the only thing in this world that makes me feel the way I do about myself. It is everything that I am, every part of me. Hard to explain. I am proud of who I am and what I do. I make people feel better for a living. Who could ask for anything more?

Now, I try to make a positive out of every situation. But for now, here is my one nasty thing I have to say:

This holiday sucks solely for the fact that if one is single and doesn't want to be...you got 24 hours to feel like the most worthless, lonely piece of shit on Earth.
(I am lucky for the fact that I get to go home and sleep through most of it)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

enjoy.

2 comments:

Swartzie said...

Even though I know it won't happen, (not being negative, just realistic) it would sure be nice to recieve a suprise or two today.

EVERYONE READING: Call your family today! Tell em you love em even if you don't like em!

Marzsaetel said...

Hey!
Happy V-day!
:)